Thursday, April 10, 2014

Re-do’s and Rolling Grades

posted in A FINE BALANCE:
Assessment, Grading
by Carolyn Durley

Over the past year and a half I have been tinkering with re-do’s (re-tests or re-assessments) and rolling grades (grades that do not get set until the end of the semester) with my Biology 12 classes. Assessment is both a volatile and emotional topic for teachers, parents and students. I want to emphasis that what I am sharing is still in progress; I am not there yet but I am trying to get there! I am not an expert in this area, this is still relatively new for me and I am still learning.

To create a re-do policy took several revisions, I worked collaboratively with my colleague Graham Johnson, consulted with my principal, and referred to Rick Wormeli‘s book Fair Isn’t Always Equal.

Read More...
Rick Wormeli: Redos, Retakes, and Do-Overs
Part 1
 
Part 2