Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Teacher Spends Two Days as a Student and is Shocked at What She Learns

By Valerie Strauss, October 24 - Washington Post

Do teachers really know what students go through?  To find out, one teacher followed two students for two days and was amazed at what she found.  Her report is in following post, which appeared on the blog of Grant Wiggins, the co-author of “Understanding by Design” and the author of “Educative Assessment” and numerous articles on education...

By Alexis Wiggins
I have made a terrible mistake.  I waited 14 years to do something that I should have done my first year of teaching: shadow a student for a day.  It was so eye-opening that I wish I could go back to every class of students I ever had right now and change a minimum of ten things – the layout, the lesson plan, the checks for understanding.  Most of it!  Read More . . .